The benefits of window tinting, for both commercial buildings and personal homes, are numerous. But window tinting, especially home window tinting, is a craft that is highly misunderstood—and those misunderstandings can cost you money!
With that in mind, we’ve put together this blog listing some of the most common mistakes people make concerning window tinting:
- Thinking window tinting is too expensive: Without a doubt the most common mistake is to think that window tinting is simply too expensive to afford—that it is, in essence, a luxury for other people only. This is simply not true. While it is an investment upfront, it is a manageable investment, especially compared to other home improvement projects. And there are very few projects that are both this simple and that can save you so much money so immediately. The average Southern house will save 5 to 10 percent on their energy costs, or over $100 a year.
- Thinking tinted windows are hard to upkeep afterwards: Adding tinted window film to your window does not add any additional steps to your window-cleaning process. You can still easily clean the window just like you did before, with either Windex or a natural cleaner such as vinegar. The application process can be difficult, as we soon will see, and it does require extensive cleaning before it can be installed, but once installed, it’s a breeze to maintain.
- Thinking it’s a good idea to install it yourself: It is certainly possible to install the tinting film yourself; however, it takes quite a bit more patience then most of the DIY articles out there on the internet might suggest. Think about putting on one of those scratch-resistant films on your cell phone screen. You know how they get all those little bubbles under the surface of the film, and how hard it is to get those bubbles out? If you’re not careful, your window tint can have the exact same problem. Air and dust can create all sorts of inconsistencies that can really take away from the quality of your tinting, and therefore from the quality of your view out your window. Professionals will get the tinting installed right the first time, without any need to worry.
- Using cheap tinting film: It’s worth investing in good tinting film. Some science had to go into developing the UV protection, the shatter resistance, the glare resistance, etc.—and if you get cheap tinting film, even though it may look the same, you are getting far fewer of the benefits. Professional window tinting companies in Birmingham, AL use only the highest-quality materials.
- Using the wrong tools: It takes a number of specialized tools to install window tinting. This goes back to our earlier point about not doing it yourself. Just think of it this way—you would be doing this for the first time, and probably the only time. To do it, you need specialized tools, and to spend a lot of time learning the right way of using all those tools to install the film. In the end, it’s definitely much easier, and could in fact end up being more affordable to pay a professional than to do it on your own.
If you are making any of these five common mistakes, or are just curious about whether window tinting could be right for you and your home, give us a call today at Solar Control Specialists. We’re one of the most trusted window tinting companies in Birmingham, AL, and we’re always happy to share our expertise with anyone interested. Come in today and let us teach you all about this spectacular product.