Are you hoping to make your home more energy efficient? With utility costs rising, many homeowners are looking for ways to make their homes greener, cleaner and cheaper to own. One great way to do this is to tint your windows. If replacing the windows with low-e versions is out of your budget, tinting can provide similar results at a much lower cost. Glass window tinting is easy when you work with a pro in Birmingham, AL.
Tinting windows can block up to 80% of the sun’s heat (not the light), which makes it easier for you to keep your home cooler in the summer. In the winter, it prevents heat transfer from inside to outdoors. Your heater and air conditioner won’t need to work overtime to keep your home at a reasonable temperature. Here are some of the pros and cons of tinting your windows.
- Save money on utilities. The biggest benefit of tinting your windows is saving money on your utility bills. Depending on the tinting you choose, you could cut your utilities by up to 40%. Because window tinting is relatively inexpensive (it averages about $6 per square foot), it’s a great way to cut costs.
- Extra security. Window tinting involves applying a thin film to glass. It won’t render your glass shatterproof, but it can help reduce breakage. For example, if a baseball flies into your window, the film helps hold shards together so they won’t injure anyone. The film can also help deter or slow down anyone trying to break into your home through the windows.
- Utility rebates. Sometimes utility companies offer rebates when you install window tinting. If your utility company is one of them, you can save even more on your monthly bills.
- Block harmful UV rays. Even transparent window film can block about 99% of UV rays. Not only does this protect your health, it also prevents your upholstery, carpets, furniture and drapery from premature fading.
- Easy to install. When you work with a company like Solar Control Specialists, window tinting is simple. Professional installation is fast, easy and cost-effective, making it a great choice for any homeowner.
- Could void your window warranty. Of course, there are some drawbacks. If you have newer windows, installing window film could void your window warranty. Make sure to check your warranty before deciding on window tinting. On the other hand, if your windows are due to be replaced within the next decade, window tinting is a stopgap solution that won’t affect your bottom line too much.
- Some window shapes are challenging. Generally, it’s easy to install window tinting—but if you have an odd window shape or your windows are more like glass walls, it can present some challenges. Talk to your window tinting contractor to find out whether it’s worth a try.
Solar Control Specialists is one of Birmingham, AL’s best window tinting companies. Find out why our customers are so happy with their window tint and call us today.