Installing solar window film is one of the best ways to protect your belongings from being faded by the sun while also reducing your overall energy costs. Just like any glass, windows with solar film need to be cleaned every once in a while to ensure they maintain their wonderful appearance. Be careful while cleaning glass window film in Birmingham, AL, though—cleaning windows with a standard window cleaning product can lead to disaster.
Instead of washing your windows with an ammonia-based window cleaner, clean them with mild dish soap and water. Fill a spray bottle with your water and dish soap solution, and spray all the glass down. Next, spread the soapy solution around with a soft towel and press gently to remove stubborn smudges.
Once all the fingerprints and smudges are gone, rinse your windows down with another damp towel. If needed, wipe the windows down using a squeegee—start at the top and work your way down for best results. Finally, use a dry, lint-free towel to dry your windows.
On top of cleaning your windows with the right solution, follow the tips below to prolong your windows’ lifespan and keep them sparkling clean:
- Wait to clean them: You may be tempted to clean your windows as soon as you see the first fingerprints. However, if they’ve recently been treated with solar film, you’ll need to wait to clean them. It typically takes window film about 30 days to fully set on your window, so wait about a month before cleaning windows with solar window film in Birmingham, AL.
- Avoid abrasive products: We mentioned above to avoid using ammonia-based cleaning products, but you’ll also need to avoid using products with baking soda and things like scouring pads and brushes to clean them. Instead, opt for our dish soap solution and soft towels.
- Use the right towels: Speaking of towels, find ones that are lint-free and soft as can be! High-end paper towels are another option if you don’t want to clean your windows with any of your nice towels.
Dangers of not following our advice
Ignoring experts’ advice is rarely a wise decision, and this principle certainly holds true for cleaning glass window film in Birmingham, AL. These are a few things that can go wrong if you don’t follow these tips:
- Permanent damage: Abrasive cleaning solutions and equipment can scratch the window film and leave it permanently damaged. Always follow our advice, and we guarantee your window film will look as good as possible for years to come.
- Unclean windows: Not only do those harmful cleaners hurt your windows, but they’re not actually as effective as mild dish soap. On top of running the risk of damage, your solar film-treated windows won’t look as clean if you use a store-bought cleaner.
Hire our team to install solar film today
On top of knowing everything about cleaning solar window film in Birmingham, AL, our pros at Solar Control Specialists are experts at installing window film. We offer some of the most competitive prices and fastest installation time in the area, so give us a call today to get started on your next project.