Summer is on the way, and with that comes bright sunshine and big air conditioning bills. Your windows let a lot of light—and heat—into your home or office. Luckily, there are some clever solutions to keep your windows from turning the room into an oven. If you’re trying to decide between window treatments in Birmingham, AL, you’ll probably end up deciding between window film and window tint. Here’s an overview of their advantages, and how to decide which one is right for you.
What’s the difference between window film and window tint?
Many people use the terms “window film” and “window tint” interchangeably, but they’re different. While both of them are applied to windows, window tint changes the color or darkness of the glass. Window film might be completely transparent, but offer other benefits. Both, however, can be very effective in making your building a more pleasant place. Here’s a closer look at their advantages:
- Save money on your energy bills: Window tint, especially, can help you save money on your energy bills. By reducing the amount of light that enters through the windows, you can also reduce the heat. This also works the opposite way in the winter: the heat from your heater will stay inside. You’ll notice immediate savings on your energy bills.
- Protect your drapery, upholstery and carpet from fading: UV rays from the sun are just as harmful to your furnishings as they are to your skin. Adding window tint or film to your windows blocks harmful UV rays, which prevents fading.
- Add privacy: Adding window film or window tint in Birmingham, AL can also improve your privacy. Darker tints make it harder to see into your building from outdoors, but there are also semi-opaque and mirrored versions to be had. These help ensure you stay clear of prying eyes while still letting plenty of natural light into the room.
- Reduce glare: The sun’s glare can be blinding, but when you add window film or window tint to your windows, you can cut down on glare and make your rooms more enjoyable places to be.
- Safety features: If you’ve ever had to deal with a broken window, you know how dangerous cleaning up those shards of glass can be. Some window films and tints offer safety features—even if the glass breaks, the film will keep it in place.
- Add some extra security features: Similarly, some window tints and films in Birmingham, AL have additional security features, making it much harder for someone to force their way into your building.
- A good alternative to window replacement: Finally, using window film and window tint is a great alternative to replacing your windows. It’s also significantly cheaper. Over time, your windows can become less efficient at preventing heat transfer and other important features. Window film or tint can help you regain those features until you can afford to replace the windows.
If you’re ready to install window treatments in Birmingham, AL, reach out to the team at Solar Control Specialists today to learn more about your options.